*NEW* Recent blog entries

May 14, 2009

The fire within

1998-1999. I had recently moved to Delhi with my parents. So many things were new. Opinions were new, I discovered I had them, I was allowed to state them and no one said, "You can't say that because I am your father."

The biggest shock though was calling "seniors" by their names... In the army, everyone is aunty or uncle, even those just two years older to you. In the 'outside' world, you were judged by what you did, the stories you cracked, not by who's daughter you were.

The outside world was also not as protective as dad (or the army). I wasn't 'baby' anymore, no one was there to collect me from school. Older men weren't scared of my dad to approach me. Older women weren't maternal figures anymore, they had claws. I developed mine. I learnt to use the public transport system, to haggle with autorickshaw drivers, to not trust older men, be wary of older women. I longed to validate my identity, my existence.

I wanted roots. My roots. Delhi rooted me. Hah, literally. (grin) Jobs, houses, friends, lovers, attitudes formed, morphed, lost...gained. Heartbreaks, promotions, scandals (oh yeah), pets!, vices, gods... Everything was new, everything was different, everything was to be learnt, discovered. Ten years went by.

2008-2009. I have recently moved to Australia. So many things are new. Opinions are new, I have had them, I am changing some of them. I'm learning to respect other opinions as well. Of course, sometimes I forget. It's funny how from discovering you have opinions, we grow so possessive about them to let go...

The biggest shock was calling someone else's parents by their names. Toughest was calling Partner's parents by their names. Strange was when at times Partner would refer to his parents by their name!

The world outside India (and the media) is not the same. I am judged by how I adjust, what I learn and un-learn, by what I bring to the plate... Not by the stories I've done, the bylines I collected or who's girlfriend/wife I am. Both my press card and my Indian driving license mean nothing. My passport and the 'India' on it is my identity; legally and in many other ways. So far that is...

Oh yes, I also eat cow and am not in hell.

After 10 years of working for the best media houses, I've made sandwiches for people and cleaned tables. My resume has so far been worthless; even for getting a job at a bookstore. :) Friends, associates, attitudes, vices, interests are forming, morphing... No promotions or scandals (yet). Lover remains the same. :)

I moved so much in India, then moved out of India and now... I am stepping over boundaries, geographically, mentally, hell even physically. Like piling on kilos (hrmph).

It's like a dream. Things and places I read about in Readers' Digest and National Geographic, saw movies about, read in fiction novels... Those things, places, people are real. Real enough to touch. feel and taste (er, not the people).

I am happy and I am humbled....AND we are flying to three awesome, awesome places on Sunday evening. See if you can guess them?

19 comments:

Medha said...

Are we supposed to guess these "Awesome places" by looking at the pics you have put up??

Sree said...

I was waiting for someone to go first.But..hmm...lets see.Indonesia.Thailand.Philippines??
Are u saying that u wont go to India?

Sree said...

oh b/w, the cow,the beef fry that we make in our state,u should try sometime.Maybe after the travel.Used to love it when i was a cow eater too.Alrite gone.Feels like family here.haha.

Unknown said...

@ Medha: Yes! :D

@ Sree: VERY close and got one right.

Ok, since i am dying to tell...
Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand...and OF COURSE, India. :D

Sree said...

oh shit...i almost said Vietnam and since i know this lady from Vietnam and we dont get along well..i just didnt want to say that name.lol.
How long in India??? Which day.what time.Arey...sigh.Anyway...have a safe journey.Stay sweet and tweet.And drink bottled water.Dont open ur mouth while taking shower :D
And...say hello to ur parents.And...have fun.Take pictures.Well..ofcourse.But just reminding,in case.And put some pics were virtual ppl like me can see some too.Takecare.Billy back to the farm i guess.

Anonymous said...

what is P.M.S means?

Unknown said...

(raises brow) Pre Menstrual Syndrome.

Sree said...

LOL
Too much laughing today. i must sleep.

SD said...

You going to India? Wow! Have loads of fun. I am guessing this is a vacation trip. enjoy, and since you are not flying direct, you will not need to endure a LONG LONG flight, which is great. :) I can so identify with your ten year leap.

SD said...

You going to India? Wow! Have loads of fun. I am guessing this is a vacation trip. enjoy, and since you are not flying direct, you will not need to endure a LONG LONG flight, which is great. :) I can so identify with your ten year leap.

June said...

Happy travels JB! LOL! PMS is means permanent menstrual syndrome.pre, post, present.

Unknown said...

@ June: I is complete agreeing with June.

Star People said...

Happy Travels! And very happy to see how you've kept the excitement alive, over this ten year period.

Unknown said...

i think its one of ur best posts!!would have loved to hear more about this idea of displacement!!

Unknown said...

@ Goofy: Yes, I expect you to understand...your transition was way braver. Way.

@ Star People: thanks for that; as for the excitement, a number of times there isn't much choice. :D

@ Ahmad: hello, thankyou. Really?! There's no tome really on the displacement-theory; just thoughts and here and there.

Sree said...

Hi :D me again.
Well..just curious and if i cud know the brave transition story.

TW said...

Have a great vacation and post pics when you come back!:)

unpredictable said...

I was to guess Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand!!!! But this is even better! :)

Well have fun! :D

er... what about Billy(i)???

Anonymous said...

oh!! thanx. (grin)