*NEW* Recent blog entries

June 27, 2008

Delhi Decade, so long

I've lived 10 years in Delhi and changed umpteen houses, even worked just 15 minutes from it but I've NEVER been to Chandni Chowk. Thankfully as part of my job, I saw some bits of Delhi that I otherwise wouldn't. Like the autorickshaw colony near Karkardooma airport at 1.30 am, sitting in an auto and trying to 'buy' ganja/marijuana so I could then do a bust-up, a crime story.

Or sitting in one of the GB Road (red light area in Delhi) brothels with the prostitutes, preparing for a role where I played a prostitute. They have wooden planks for beds and the girls mostly wear dirty nighties. The 'madams' were all unanimously fat. The married ones I spoke to, their families don't know they are prostitutes. Some have teenage daughters and don't want them to come to Delhi.

Discovering the Sundar Nagar nursery near the Nizamuddin tomb (and dargah) when doing the Commonwealth Games village story. Or for that matter rolling in shit and mud to slide under a barbed wire to get shots from inside the construction area for the tv special. Or climbing on top of a truck with guards threatening to beat us and pull us down... But strangely, there were no death threats. Strange because I got two you-will-be-bumped-off calls and an abduction threat when I used to write restaurant reviews and covered parties...all because this big-time restaurant near Qutub Minar was doing a fraud and we were to publish that story.

I also recognised certain personal facets. That I find it difficult to live with people and that people wholeheartedly reciprocate that! Or learning that audience/reader memory is really short. And they can love or hate you for their own reasons and it has nothing to do with good writing or bad. Or that you really don't need to write regular emails or call constantly with good friends. And that I have very few good friends.

Learnt from an HR that 'talent is recognised but character is rewarded'. Basically meaning you could be a talentless arsehole but if you suck up to the boss, you will get a good raise. It applies to ALL jobs. Of course that HR has an 'I' silent before it which stands for Inhuman Resources, they
never think of employee benefits. Or that if you don't show your spine, people will think you don't have one and to prove it, once in a while you need to squeeze their balls to drive home the point. When you hurt peoples' balls, they seem to understand your viewpoint rather quickly. However, it doesn't win you friends and could jack your career in the long run.

I could go on but (un)fortunately, all my thoughts are currently on juggle-mode in my brain so it's muddled about what to pick, sort, edit and put out before you. In short, quit my job, packed my house and moved from Delhi on June 25th - the silence has been because of parents visiting, sending Golu Dawg to another family, thinking that the family will eat him, Golu getting depressed and being returned to us, finding a new home for him, getting hooked to a stupid PC game called Empire EArth, playing it for 6 hours straight and pissing off Partner, Papa getting worried that I will get addicted and will leave my baby crying because of video games. No, I don't have a baby right now but my Dad saw 3 years into the future and predictedI am currently at my parents' place and waiting. Being completely dazed when the packers came, passing through our going-away parties completely dazed as well... And now, I have to wait, hate it, but I have to... Do I miss Delhi? Too soon yet, I think of her but that's about it. And bloody Blogger would not let me upload pics. (grumpy)

13 comments:

blunt edges said...

neat writing lady...n some intrstng life u lead dere ;)
visitin a brothel, buyin dope...he he
hope u hv an even more intrstng life ahead eventhough u r movin out of d capital...been readin u 4 sometime...thumbs up :D

Eve* aka JB said...

Blunt Edges --> Hi there and thanks for dropping in a line. :) Its funny that one doesnt realise it was interesting till one starts narrating. And to think that some have more action filled lives! :)

The time traveller said...

Hello there

You do get back a lot of memories spl that of the sundar nursery... Delhi does teach you a lot... even if it is just sitting at CP and imagining the history that this place has... you have to love Delhi for what it has become an all these centuries...

Even if it is an experience as small as driving through the lieutenent's delhi or walking at janpath post dark... it is an experience...

Was just having a conversation with two friends from b'bay about how they hated... The first question they said that was asked to them was "Have you seen a film star?" or all the punjabi aunties (no offence meant). That is another Delhi. You love it or hate it... This is a city to be experienced...

fbm said...

are yaar, should've given a chance to bake a cake for you...........

Blastoff said...

Well buying drugs is so not cool! Hope you have realised that.Really worth appreciating that you put so much eforts in your work.But whatever you say,deep in your mind somewhere you must be surely missing Delhi.Why don't you write a post on Mumbai,would love to read it(Thats only if u have visited the city).Jhoomur Bose writing a blog on being a mom!!! Interesting!!!

Eve* aka jb said...

LOL @ Blastoff.... who said about writing a blog about being a mom?! And what's with 'interesting'?? As for 'buyin' drugs, that particular instance was called cultivating a contact, so that when u buy a big load, you tell police, do a sting and then a crime bust. :D Sigh. My editor back then had blown the idea to bits and promptly transferred me to coverin parties as he was sure i would get myself killed. damn.

FBM --> kya re...why didnt you say so earlier!

Time Traveller --> Delhi is nice and special for both good and bad reasons. And if i may, its Lutyen's Delhi.

Blastoff said...

Duhh>> I was suggesting you to write such a blog! Will be INTERESTING to read your views on it because you always seem to have different perspectives of things.I have assumed you to be a kick ARSE girl from your blogs.Oh,I am really sorry,I thought you used to consume them,because I had read about something similar on one of your posts.Well i have posted a blog on a topic on similar grounds. It will surely give an idea about my comments on this blog!
http://blastemoff.blogspot.com

Eve* aka jb said...

:( i will tell my mummy...isne mujhe DUH bolaaa......Duht teri ki!

Blastoff said...

what was that???

DewdropDream said...

Eve, LOL at ':( i will tell my mummy...isne mujhe DUH bolaaa......Duht teri ki!' :D

Wishing you loads of luck and happiness with your new life :)

Mystique said...

oh I want your job so bad....so bad, you have no idea. seriously. seriously thinking about doing journalism/photgraphy, but no idea absolutely how to get there. sigh.
Always wanted to go to a brothel. and talk to prostitutes. just, find out their reasons, and just how bad it is......

SIM said...

Bon voyage J-bo! May you find a whole lot of happiness and lots of love in your new location.
Luck and cheers... Muah :)

Chandini said...

Hey, I watched you on television and here I am!
What you said about blogs is absolutely right: That it should be reviewed on a daily basis. Well, I might skip a day or two, but it pulls me in by its somnabulent tail.
I myself have a morbid curiosity about my blog.
Do visit for some poems and self studies.

chandinisantosh.blogspot.com